I am weak.
I had a cheese quesadilla and rice and beans smothered in cheese this weekend.
Then I had 8 slices of a very cheesy pizza.
I AM THE WORST VEGAN EVER. I feel like I need a scarlet D on my shirt for all of the dairy I have consumed recently. Everywhere I turn, it’s just…cheese. You can’t go to a Mexican restaurant and avoid it! You can’t go to my local, sketchy pizza joint where all of the employees yell at each other and get a pizza without cheese! I cannot escape it! I really feel like it’s not my fault, I’m a product of my environment.
I also accidentally drank a latte with skim milk so I’m just counting August as a loss.
Time: 1 hour (prep + cooking) | Serves: 2 quesadillas
- 1 package of tempeh, cut into cubes
- 1 cup of arugula, packed
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup of cilantro, chopped
- Some jalapenos if you are a masochist
- 4 whole wheat burrito-size tortillas
- 2/3 cup of hot sauce
- 1/2 cup of olive oil + 4 tbsp.
- 1 1/2 tbsp. of white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. of Worcestershire
- 1 tbsp. of smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder
- S+P, to taste
- In a food processor, combine hot sauce + 1/2 cup of olive oil + white vinegar + Worcestershire + paprika + cayenne + garlic + S+P, pulse until well-combined
- Pour into a sauce pan + heat over low-medium heat until it starts to bubble, remove from heat
- Meanwhile, heat a tbsp. of olive oil in a skillet over medium
- Add onion + S+P, let caramelize for 6-7 minutes, set aside
- In the same skillet, heat another tbsp. of olive oil + add tempeh + cook for 4-5 minutes letting them get a lil crispy
- Once crispy, toss tempeh in the buffalo sauce
- To prepare the quesadillas, heat another tbsp. of olive oil in the same skillet over medium heat
- Lay down a tortilla + top with 1/2 the onion + 1/2 the arugula + 1/2 the tempeh + 1/2 the cilantro + top with another tortilla, cook for 3 minutes, flip + cook another 1-2 minutes
- Repeat with remaining ingredients
- Serve hot with extra cilantro
- Fold over quesadilla triangle + tilt head back + let quesadilla contents slide down gullet
Buffalo sauce adapted from here!
21 thoughts on “Buffalo Tempeh Quesadillas”
I need to play around with tempeh some more. I wasn’t super impressed with my first experience. Should have had it in a quesadilla.
I did the cheese thing today too. I’m not vegan though, so I only compromised my efforts at moderation.
OMG it’s my favorite thing ever as of late. Sooooo much better than tofu.
LikeLiked by 1 person
It really is!
The “bacon” tempeh they have at Sprouts is really good imo. Some people find the fake smoke flavor to be too much but I think it adds depth to meatless dishes
I’m allllll about some fake smoke flavor 😀 I’ll have to try it!!
I LOVE tempeh, but have been on the search for some new ways to cook with it! Your recipe just gave me the inspiration I need. These look amazing! 🙂
Happy to help!!! 😀 Tempeh is my new favie!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Looks like a tasty recipe and pictures were awesome 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
I was sympathetic until you owned up to the skimmed milk latte. Now I have to mark you down as pathetic. Cheese is forgivable but non-soy latte – shame on you!
It was a surprise from my husband I solemnly swear!!!!!!!!! Forgive me, forgive me.
Ok, I had to Google “TEMPEH”. I’ve never heard of it. Where do you buy it?
OMG you all should try it on a meatless Monday! So much better than tofu. It’s at Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods. I think I’ve seen it at my everyday grocery story, too, in the produce area where the tofu and what not is. Let me know if you try it!!
Will do. Thanks again!!
They look so good! I’ve been trying to cut out dairy from my diet so I will definitely try these!
You won’t regret it! Let me know how they turn out 🙂
have a drink and count it as a win.
drunkaugust. now and forever.
Hahahaha call it square after a glass of wine. Thanks for reading!
this looks delicious. I need to play with tempeh more. And I too have a cheese problem. You are not alone. ;-p
I do accept as true with all of the ideas you’ve offered to your post. They’re very convincing and will certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts are very brief for novices. May you please prolong them a little from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.