Tater tots hold a special place in my heart.
And my gut.
I’ve mentioned it before, but I used to be what some call a picky eater.
Hot dogs and chicken nuggets were my main food groups. Growing up we dined out a lot. Probably because I threw a fit every time they tried to serve me pork chops and apple sauce or some crap. I frequented the local Sonic Drive-In regularly with my pops. By regularly, I mean weekly, I’m pretty sure. After two bites of whatever heinous dinner they tried to shove down my throat, I would kick and scream and Greg would drive us to the local Sonic for limeades and wait for it…… cheese tots. Your girl used to drown her adolescent sorrows all up in some cheesy tots. I just have the fondest memories of my dad introducing me to Conway Twitty and listening to the top 40 radio countdown shows (I have a vivid memory of Vitamin C’s “Graduation” being number 1 for a considerable amount of time and IT WAS MY JAM) while sitting in our spot at Sonic.
I don’t eat cheese now, but I can tell you with absolute certainty I will have cheese tots again one day.
Time: 1 hour (prep + cooking) | Serves: 4
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed + drained
- 1 can of corn, drained
- 1 can of fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 package of cauliflower tater tots
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 tbsp. of cumin
- 1 tsp. of crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp. of smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. of chili powder
- S+P, to taste
- Cilantro, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat
- Add onion + S+P, cook 3-4 minutes
- Add garlic, cook another minute
- Add peppers + S+P, cook another 3-4 minutes
- Add beans + corn + tomatoes + spices + S+P, bring to a simmer + cook 3-4 minutes
- Turn off hot + top with tots
- Bake 20 minutes
- Broil for 2-3 minutes until tots get crispy
- Serve warm with cilantro
- Scoop a heaping helping of this into a bowl + go to daggum town on this grub