You’d think I’d be apt at choosing fabulous dinner locales whilst traveling.
You’d be wrong.
Garr and I took a quick vaca to Charleston, SC known for it’s history, hospitality and the Bravo phenomenon, Southern Charm.
Being the culinary goddess divine I am, I took the reigns on meals. I knew we were in for a good time when we got a late travel start and stopped at a sketchy Subway in the boonies of SC, spilling mustard all over my white tee & light jeans, an utter delight. Once we arrived, we took in some sights and needed a late afternoon snack. We went to a dope restaurant I’d found in my searches, but turns out no other humans in the world need snacks at 3:30pm on a Thursday so we shared an order of falafel in silence – did I mention there was no background music? We somehow ended up getting pre-dinner drinks at a hotel bar we thought was full of hip, young professionals but were instead doing their best to hide their true identity – tourists!! For dinner, I was tricked by an expertly designed website with high quality photos into thinking this particular restaurant was def going to be POPPING! False, again the only patrons at 7pm in this ginormous establishment. However, this place BLARED elevator music all eve, so the ambience was on point.
Things turned around for us the rest of the trip: there were torrential downpours and flooding and I managed to eat my weight in avocado toast.
Time: 1 hour (prep + cooking) | Serves: 4-6
- 1 package of tempeh
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 cup of shiitake mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup of arugula
- 1 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 tbsp. of sriracha
- 1 tsp. of chili powder
- 1 tsp. of cumin
- S+P, to taste
- 1/4 cup of cilantro + more for serving
- Avocado, for serving
- Toast, for serving
- Taters, for serving
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat
- Add onion + S+P, cook 3-4 minutes
- Add garlic, cook another minute
- Add mushrooms + S+P, cook another 4-5 minutes
- Add red pepper + jalapeno + S+P, cook another 3-4 minutes
- Crumble in your tempeh + add sriracha + chili powder + cumin + S+P, cook another 5-6 minutes
- Add tomatoes, cook, 2-3 minutes
- Add arugula, cook another minute
- Turn off heat, add cilantro + stir to combine, let sit for a few
- Serve hot with toast + tater + avo
- Stack scramble onto some toast, top with taters + avo + more toast + make carb sandwich with which to gorge self on