I just never thought I’d get to this place. ESPECIALLY at my ripe age.
The place where I spend my Saturdays at garage sales. & LOOK FORWARD to it. Who is this monster I’ve become?
I thoroughly enjoy scrounging through other’s junk & finding treasures. Like, last weekend I found one of those incredible serrated bread knifes with the wooden handle – for $1. $1!!!! I didn’t even have to wheel & deal. & it took every ounce of my strength to walk away from a vintage Care Bears lunch box. I might regret that decision every day of this life.
I’m new to this game, though. I grew up in a home where everything was new & no store brand grocery items were allowed. Green Giant green beans or DEATH. I wasn’t spoiled, I was blessed.
Get outta my way this weekend, garage sale goers. I’m on a mission for a bronze toilet paper holder.
Time: 30 minutes (prep + cooking) | Serves: 3-4
- 1 package of barley
- 1 can of pineapple, or fresh if you’re feeling feisty
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed + drained
- 2 tbsp. of cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- S+P, to taste
- Feta, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cook barley according to package directions
- Lay pineapple + onion on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet
- Drizzle with olive oil + S+P
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until browned to your liking
- In a bowl, combine pineapple + black beans + barley + cilantro + lime + S+P
- Serve warm with feta unless you into that vegan stuff
- Eat as much as you want – I won’t judge