I’ve revealed far too many fears to all of you – but I’m not done yet.
Nothing makes my heart & mind race more than a knock on my door.
This isn’t Leave It to Beaver, people. We live in a scary world. I don’t know who is on the other side of that door. He could have a bazooka or a sword or something.
Like, does anyone actually buy the junk the door-to-door salesman people sell? I don’t need my carpets cleaned or a tupperware set. I want to avoid stroke & that can only happen if these people NEVER KNOCK ON MY DOOR AGAIN.
I practically spilled this bowl all over myself when the second knock came.
Time: 40 minutes (prep + cooking) | Serves: 2
- 2 cans of black beans, rinsed + drained
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 2 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 tsp. of cumin
- 1 tsp. of crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp. of garlic salt
- 1 tbsp. of shredded cheese + more for serving, hot pepper used here
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- S+P, to taste
- Tortilla chips for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat
- Add onion + cook for 4-5 minutes
- Add garlic + cook for another 1-2 minutes
- Add beans + jalapeno + stock + cumin + crushed red pepper + garlic salt + S+P
- Bring to a simmer, cover + cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring occassionally
- Once beans are tender, add cheese + lime juice + S+P
- Serve piping hot with extra cheese + tortilla chips
- Use chips as a device to stuff beans in mouth quicker
15 thoughts on “Spicy Black Bean Soup”
This looks so good! I’m glad you didn’t spill it. Would have been such a waste.
A knock on our door is very rare and very strange. You have to be pretty desperate to drive 5 minutes up a mountain and turn down an unpaved dead end road to try and sell something. GO THE HELL AWAY!!
Hahahaha maybe that’s what I’ll do – move to the top of mountain. Do you have a spare room?! 🙂 I imagine I’d be even more terrified if a knock came in your neck of the woods…
LikeLiked by 1 person
Anybody who would even think about tackling the turn-around situation in our driveway is nuts!!
I’ll have to ask His Royal Highness about the room… There are two houses for sale down the road… 😉
I’m glad to see you’ve crossed over to the dark side and are actually making and eating ‘soup’ albeit a thick one. Black bean soup is one of my favorites and this looks yummy. I’m hopeful that you’ll continue down this path and make more soups I can try!
You would like this. You know I don’t like brothy soups. Gotta be THICK. 🙂
But what if it’s opportunity knocking on your door! 😉
Hahaha opportunity can just e-mail me. 🙂
“Use chips as a device to stuff beans in mouth quicker” <– ain't that the truth.
Right? It’s what chips are designed for I’m fairly certain.
Yum I just had some bean stew the other day it’s so great for the cold weather!
So yummy for cold & lazy days! Thanks for reading, Danika 🙂
Oh I love black beans! I can’t wait to try this recipe out 🙂 I will most probably be eating it at my desk at work, so it won’t be a look of fear on my face when someone knocks on my cubicle, more of a growl of protectiveness over my delicious lunch!
Hahaha I love it. That’s exactly how I am at lunch time. “Don’t talk to me it’s feeding time” Thanks for reading!
LikeLiked by 1 person
YUM! that is all! X
This looks delicious! Can’t wait to try it. 🙂